RMDT Nutracker Auditions FAQ's
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
What is the Nutcracker?
For over 20 years, Rocky Mountain Dance Theatre has produced the annual production of the Nutcracker Ballet in Cody, in December. This full length professional production features guest dancers from well known dance companies in the United States along with over 100 children and adults from Cody and the surrounding areas. RMDT is the non-profit organization affiliated with Rocky Mountain School of the Arts also in Cody, Wyoming.
When is the Nutcracker audition?
EVERYONE NEEDS to submit an audition form online AND register for 2021 Nutcracker in advance. Please help us spread the word, keep following our facebook event, our social media, and this web page for updates.
Audition Days & Times *come for the time slot of your child's current age
Tuesday, May 18, 2021; 4:00-7:00
4:00-4:15 3 & 4 year olds (boys and girls)*
4:15-4:30 5 & 6 year olds (boys and girls)*
4:30-5:00 7 & 8 year old girls*
5:00-5:30 9 year old girls and older (without pointe shoes)*
5:30-5:45 Boys 7 and older*
5:45-7:00 Pointe auditions (any female over the age of 10* with pointe shoes)
**PLEASE NOTICE: Adults (18 and older) will have auditions in TBD; follow us on social media for announcement of time & day.
Who can Audition? ANYONE
- Do they have to belong to a dance studio?
No, but if they are given a pointe role, they must enroll in ballet and pointe class twice a week at RMSA.
- Do they have to have dance experience?
No, there are many character roles for older participants. Younger participants may be awarded a dance
- Please understand, participants in the Nutcracker are not attending a dance class but a rehearsal or practice where the cast will learn steps, formations, and staging in order to perform their roles they were casted into. If you are interested in enrolling into any of our dance classes click here.
Where is the audition?
Rocky Mountain School of the Arts; 2613 Sheridan Ave., Cody, Wyoming
What to wear?
Males: Black sweats or shorts, white t-shirt, white or black ballet shoes (socks if you don’t have ballet shoes)
Females: Leotard, tights, pink ballet shoes. Optional: ballet skirt or ballet shorts.
*IF you don’t have dance attire, wear something you can move in easily, and socks.
BEFORE AUDITION- ALL participants MUST have an online form submitted and signed in advance by a parent/guardian; one form must be completed for EACH participant auditioning.
What to expect at the audition?
- Once you arrive; those auditioning will need to check in and they will be given numbers to pin on them.
- We ask that the studio remain calm & quiet so everyone can hear for instructions & when groups are called.
- Those auditioning will be asked to perform different steps or act out different roles.
- Our youngest auditionees; the director is seeing how well they listen, can follow directions, and that they can be independent of their parents (entering a room without crying)
- Parents cannot watch or be in the audition room.
What happens after the audition?
A casting list will be posted on the website: www.rockymountaindancetheatre.org and will be announced with a Studio App push notification; opt into the GROUP "RMDT Nutcracker Participants" and our social media platforms. Casting is usually done a week after the audition.
If you receive a role, rehearsals will begin in September for most roles and most rehearsals will be Monday’s after school (preschool & kindergarten age participants will probably be Wednesdays) until we get closer to performance date. Information how to access the rehearsal calendars will be sent with cast announcements.
What is the fee to participate in Nutcracker?
- The fee to participate is $45 for one role, $20 for each additional role. This fee covers rehearsals and costume rental/cleaning.
- Full fee amount is due at the time of the first rehearsal in September.
- This fee does not cover dance shoes, tights, leotards, etc.
- Nutcracker fees will be posted to your online account. If you are new to our system, be watching for emails how to access your online portal.
2021 Performances & Important Dates:
week/weekend of December 6th-12th, 2021
- Dress Rehearsal; TBD
- School Performances; TBD (only for schools in the area to attend)
- Production: TBD
- Production: TBD
Other Expectations of Participating in the Nutcracker?
Please be aware, as this is a professional production, attendance to all practices/rehearsals is extremely important. Participants are allowed two absences; which includes sports, sickness, or family vacations. If you will not be able to participate because of the attendance policy, Elizabeth will have to assign the roles given to your participant to someone else.
If I have family/children participating; do I need to purchase tickets to attend the productions?
Yes, tickets are reserved seating and participants are notified when pre-public sale tickets are available and are given a discount code with an expiration date. After the code expires, tickets are full price and ticket sales are then open to the general public.
Any questions? Please feel free to call 307-527-9973